Do I need a smart valve in the same room as my thermostat?

cchbrown@me.com

Do I need a smart valve in the same room as my thermostat?

Post by cchbrown@me.com » 16 Dec 2017, 09:25

So I’d like to be able to create 3 zones in my flat; living room, hallway/kitchen/bathroom and bedroom. My plan is to keep the hallway/kitchen/bathroom at 19 degrees with dumb TRVs, then control the bedroom and living room with Smart Valves on a schedule between 16 and 21 degrees based on when we use those rooms. The thermostat is on the wall in the hallway.

The Netatmo website says I need a smart valve in the same room as the thermostat for the auto-balance feature. But I’m not exactly sure what that is. Do I need it?

As I understand it, with the latest firmware, if I want the living room to heat to 21 degrees the boiler will come on, living room smart valves will open and heat. Hallway/kitchen/bathroom TRVs will heat to 19 and then turn off, or not turn on at all if the temp is already above 19. And the bedroom smart valve will not turn on being set at 16.

Have I overlooked anything? What benefit would having a smart valve in the hallway bring?

GEORGzer

Re: Do I need a smart valve in the same room as my thermosta

Post by GEORGzer » 16 Dec 2017, 11:31

If you want to heat another room than the one where the Thermostat is installed, you need a smart valve in the Thermostat‘s room do keep the radiator there closed or it will always heat with the others.

That‘s pretty much it why you need a Valve in the Thermostat‘s room as well, to controll specific that radiator individually.
Home:
Weather Station (3rd Generation + Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules)
2 Valves + Relais (Starter Pack), 5 additional Valves

Office:
Thermostat + Relais (2nd Generation)
Healthy Home Coach
Smart Smoke Alarm

cchbrown@me.com

Post by cchbrown@me.com » 16 Dec 2017, 15:00

Thanks Georgzer, however I can get around that problem by using normal thermostatic valves set to 19 degrees in the hallway with the thermostat which would also be set to 19 degrees. So in theory they should turn off and stop the hallway from overheating?

What I loose is the ability to schedule those hallway radiators but I don’t think I’d need to.

GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer » 16 Dec 2017, 15:33

You could do that, yes. But the question is if this is comfortable or „worth“ saving 1 Valve.
Home:
Weather Station (3rd Generation + Rain Gauge, Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules)
2 Valves + Relais (Starter Pack), 5 additional Valves

Office:
Thermostat + Relais (2nd Generation)
Healthy Home Coach
Smart Smoke Alarm

risodv

Post by risodv » 16 Dec 2017, 19:40

You have to have NETATMO valve in same room as thermostat to do not overheating room with thermostat when other room requests for heating.

But maybe it could work when you set TRV to close on higher temp as is your thermostat set, thermostat will turn your boiler off when is temp in room reached and when other rooms need heating TRV will start to close your radiator. It will be overheated but it depends on TRV characteristics, In ideal state TRV should be fully opened when boiler is on and when temp in the room is higher it should be fully closed. I do not know how many degrees is needed to turn trv from open state to close state, maybe two or three degrees of celsius, maybe more.

Return to “General questions”