Geo-Fence

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
gnaegi

Geo-Fence

Post by gnaegi »

I am really annoyed that the Presence does not support Geo-Fence. I also have a couple of Canary cams and of course, when I get home they automatically turn off notification. I did not find a way turning notification off in the Netatmo UI for the Presence camera. I tried using homekit, however there is no "notification switch" I could turn on/off .

I think this is rather critical. When my kids play around the house I get so many notifications, I have to turn notifications off. Many times I forget turning them on again. This is supposed to work automatically.

In Canary they implemented notification on/off using a geo-fence and a night-mode based on time to override the geo-fence during night. It works very well and I with that for my Presence cams too. The current scheme that supports only time is way too limited. Every day is different it is not possible to capture this with this simple mechanism netatmo provides.

Did anyone find a solution for this?
Patrick S

Re: Geo-Fence

Post by Patrick S »

I can support this demand. I have no idea why they dont implement this feature since it would make everything so much more convinient to the user
ebakke

Post by ebakke »

I use Homekit, you have to setup automation rules (Leaves/Arrives Home), based on your iPhone location you can set notifications to occur when nobody, or some people (if you have more folks in your household) are not at home.
This works fine, only challenge is that Homekit doesn't support Car, Person or Animal detection. It will report it as motion detected.
gnaegi

Post by gnaegi »

@ebakke Can you please explain how to enable/disable the notifications sent by Presence in HomeKit? In my home app I only see two appliances

- Sensor that triggers when motion is detected
- Light switch

I don't have a "notification switch" appliance or something like this. Of course I can trigger a light or something when I come home or even when Presence detect something, however but what I want is that Presence stops notifying me about my own motion when I am at home.
ebakke

Post by ebakke »

@gnaegi, go into the details of the motion detector of your Presence, go to Status and Notifications, Enable Allow Notifications (probably already set), under People you can select when you receive notifications. I have it set to "When nobody is home", so notifications will be sent to me when my wife and myself are not home. But you can pick other options. You can also set up a time, I have it set to "Any time". Same here, set what works for you. Of course you need to make sure that people are setup for your home.

Also have another outside light switch on when my Presence light switches on, using a Fibaro Single Switch, this works also very good with Homekit.

Hope this works for you.
Patrick S

Post by Patrick S »

I dont get it. I do not have the option to say „notification on when nobody is at home“. Can you post a screenshot where i can find that in the netatmo app? I can only select a time window which is completely useless. Also in homekit i dont have the option to say that i only want to get notifications from my netatmo when i am not at home.
ebakke

Post by ebakke »

@Patrick S There is no option in the Netatmo App. The description is for Homekit. Go to the details of you Presence Motion Sensor and then Status and Notifications. This is the same for all other Homekit sensors. Attached some screenshots.
Attachments
IMG_0044.jpg
IMG_0045.jpg
Una Real

Post by Una Real »

ebakke wrote:@Patrick S There is no option in the Netatmo App. The description is for Homekit. Go to the details of you Presence Motion Sensor and then Status and Notifications. This is the same for all other Homekit sensors. Attached some screenshots.
Do you by chance also have a Welcome camera installed? I have only a Presence and see no "Status and Notifications" in my Presence settings in the Home app. Am running iOS 11.3 on my iPhone.
gnaegi

Post by gnaegi »

@ebakke yes, I see this, but this does not solve the problem. I get about 20 notifications a day from cats, fox and other animals. I only want to get a notification when a person is detected, so I need the Presence notification feature. But not when I am at home :-(
Wombat58

Post by Wombat58 »

I go to that page in HomeKit and the option for notifications for People is grayed out and I cannot change that setting. Anybody know why? :cry:

Return to “General questions”