Help with configuration. Do I really need a thermostat?

You need some help attaching the thermostat to your specific boiler. This way please !
neen1967n

Help with configuration. Do I really need a thermostat?

Post by neen1967n »

Hi all,
new to this forum :)

I am planning to buy a Netatmo system to replace my existing traditional system.
I live in an indipendent house, with indepenedent boiler (BERETTA EXCLUSIVE).

I am planning to buy a relay and 10 smart valves (one for every radiator).
The relay will be connected to the boiler in order to turn it on/off when the valves require hot water.

The question is: do I also need a thermostat?
In my opinion I don't need it, as every room will have its own temperature control.
But the question is if the system will work without a thermostat connected.

thanks for your input.
GEORGzer

Re: Help with configuration. Do I really need a thermostat?

Post by GEORGzer »

You will because the Relay that comes with the Valve-starter pack can not be connected to a boiler. Only the one with the Thermostat can.
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee
neen1967n

Post by neen1967n »

I understand. Is it a matter of accessories included in the package?

But even if I buy the thermostat, do I have to use it?
I mean, having a smart valve in every room, can I avoid installing the thermostat?
Will the app work without a thermostat, basing it's algorithms only on the smart valve sensosrs?
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

No, the hardware is different.

The Relay will keep looking for the Thermostat and will give out a warning if it's not found.
Do you have a room with mutual radiators? Just stick it there, it's wireless and you will have more accurate measurement there.
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell

Not a Netatmo employee
neen1967n

Post by neen1967n »

Understood.
One more thing:
Will the single smart valves trigger the relay even if the thermostat does not trigger it?

In other words: if the thermostat is set to 20 and the temp in the room is 21, but in another room the smart valve is set to 20 and the temp is 19, will the relay be triggered by the smart valve only?
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

Yes, the point be why you need valves everywhere, even in the thermostat's room is that other valves can request heat as well.
So let's say your thermostat is in your livingroom and your bedroom requests heat, the boiler will switch on, the valve in the bedroom will open and all the others stay closed. There will be an indicator on the thermostat as well, that your boiler is currently running.

Not a Netatmo employee
neen1967n

Post by neen1967n »

So I could put the thermostat in the living room where I have 3 radiators keeping the stadard valves, and put the smart ones in the other rooms.

correct?
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

Nope, because then the Netatmo system wouldn‘t be able to control the temperature in this room.
As I stated in my example, if your bedroom needs heat but your livingroom doesn‘t, the Netatmo Valves need to stay closed in the livingroom.

There are many discussions about this here like putting the Thermostat in the hallway with an manual (always open) valve on the radiator and stuff like that. But all of those „mixed“ system have disadvantages.
If you want to control everything and minimize your boiler‘s runtime, you need Netatmo Valves on every radiator.

Puting the Thermostat in a room with more radiators was just an example, you can place it in any room.
It just gives you a central operation panel for this room, so using it in a room with more radiators makes the most scense.

Not a Netatmo employee

Return to “Attaching the Thermostat to the boiler”