FTP feature: Overwrite oldest file when disk is full?

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
randye007

FTP feature: Overwrite oldest file when disk is full?

Post by randye007 »

Hi All,

I am using the FTP feature of the Netatmo Welcome Home Camera to back up my videos.
Does anyone know what happens when the disk fills up completely? Does the Netatmo device overwrite the oldest file in a circular fashion (like it does for the SD Card)?
Or does it simply error out with a disk full message and you need to manually free up space?

Thanks,
Randy
randye007

Re: FTP feature: Overwrite oldest file when disk is full?

Post by randye007 »

Since this is FTP, there is no checking for disk space and cleaning up.
I am backing up to a Synology NAS. I've already found some scripts I can run to do the trick.
ubik

Post by ubik »

FTP does allow for checking files and also for their removal.
Unfortunately Netatmo Welcome does not implement this feature, so it simply uploads the new files and does not manage the old recordings.
When the FTP server has no more space left it replies with an error and the Welcome camera just reports that there was an error in the FTP upload.
Unfortunately you have to check your files and free some space manually or automatically using some kind of automation.
camillo777

Post by camillo777 »

This would be very useful on ftp and also on Dropbox
xpxp2002

Post by xpxp2002 »

I would also appreciate this feature.

I wrote a small shell script to clean up files after so many days, but I end up deleting some before the disk is full. I would prefer if that worked like the SD card where it just dropped the oldest video when full.
b3astie

Post by b3astie »

Would love to have this feature. Does anyone know if it is possible to set this behavior for a map in Synology, when full remove the oldest file?

Return to “General questions”