Attaching on WPMWII (Stiebel Eltron) - EDIT: incompatible

You need some help attaching the thermostat to your specific boiler. This way please !
Rakdos

Attaching on WPMWII (Stiebel Eltron) - EDIT: incompatible

Post by Rakdos »

Original post in French here: https://forum.netatmo.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18193 . I will translate anything to the other side if any help are one way or the other.

Hi there !

After several days looking for documentation and explanations I decided to join and speak on this forum in the hope to get any confirmation or help.

First I thought that NetAtmo is not compatible but I watched the installation video and remembered the link between 3 and 4 on my setup. But, there is no mention of "Ls-Lr", "TA", or "RT" still "3-4" is correct (see attachment "1.jpeg").
After reading the documentation on my setup, I don't understand the link with those wire to anything about the thermostat itself (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80367 ... 185#manual) :
3: l' enable signal (in french it says literally "tariff prohibition")
4: pumps l

It looks like it's plugged with high voltage, but is it really compatible ?

Thank you in advance :)
Attachments
1.jpeg
1.jpeg
1.jpeg (297.4 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
GEORGzer

Re: Attaching on WPMWII (Stiebel Eltron)

Post by GEORGzer »

First of, the „3“ and „4“ labels are not standard on every setup.
The photo isn‘t perfect, am I right that there are two bridge wires, one going from „2“ to „3“ and one from „3“ to „4“?

If that is the case, it means that „signal“ and „pump“ are always powered by the „source“ and you have to wire the Netatmo Thermostat, or the Relais actually between them as follows:

Add the Relais‘ blue wire to „1“, brown wire to „2“ as well as the black wire.
Remove the bridge wire between „2“ and „3“, but leave the other one between „3“ and „4“ in place.
Now add the grey wire of the Relais to „3“.

This way the Relais will be able to control „signal“ and „pump“.
The System can handle high voltage.
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee
Rakdos

Post by Rakdos »

Thank you for your very fast reply. It's really appreciated.
GEORGzer wrote: 17 May 2020, 22:17The photo isn‘t perfect, am I right that there are two bridge wires, one going from „2“ to „3“ and one from „3“ to „4“?
Yes you are absolutely right. There is a bridge between "2"-"3" and "3"-"4". See attachment, I've just re-captured the setup to make it sure.

The black wire is not mandatory for NetAtmo to work properly ?
Attachments
IMG_1669.jpeg
IMG_1669.jpeg (253.59 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

Good.

Yes, the black wire is important, as I wrote you need to connect that one to „2“ as well.
So in the end there should be 3 wires in total connected to „2“: The Relais‘ brown and black wires + the existing source.

Brown and Blue are just for powering the Relais so that it is functional.
Black and Grey work just like the bridge wire you need to replace, except that the Relais can open/close the contact between those two.
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell

Not a Netatmo employee
Rakdos

Post by Rakdos »

Ok my bad. I didn't get the proper message in the first place.

So if I want to sum up:
  1. Remove bridge between 2 and 3
  2. (From relai) Blue to 1
  3. (From relai) Brown to 2
  4. (From relai) Black to 2
  5. (From relai) Grey to 3
Thank you again for the explanations and details ! Going to write it down in French in the original post :) .
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

You*re correct, that should give the Netatmo Thermostat control over „signal“ and „pump“.
If you want to make a test first, start your boiler as you did till now. Then switch off the main power and remove the bridge wire between „2“ and „3“. Switch the power back on, if your boiler doesn‘t start, we‘re in the right track. You can double check by putting the bridge back in and see if it behaves again like before.

Not a Netatmo employee
Rakdos

Post by Rakdos »

Actually I don't have a boiler, it's a heat pump (WPL 16S from Stiebel Eletron).
The given attachment are linked to the Heat pump regulator (WPMW II from Stiebel Eletron).

My setup also have a buffer water tank for the heating circuit. That said, I'll have to be patient in order to see if the heating circuit is cooling down, or not.

The thing is that the regulator does the job of the NetAtmo but I can't control it remotely nor changing temperature with precision (day to day or different temperatures).
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

Sorry, I saw that it was a heat pump, I‘m just used to writing „boiler“ all the time 😋

We have to differentiate between the „system temperature“, the temperature of the water that heats your place and the „room temperature“, the temperature you‘re trying to reach in your place.

You won‘t be able to control the systems temperature either with the Netatmo Thermostat, just the timing when the circulation will start. The moment when the room temperature drops below the set temperature on the Netatmo Thermostat.

This is more of a work around actually that will require some testing how everything behaves.

Not a Netatmo employee
Rakdos

Post by Rakdos »

Yes, exactly. It's what I've thought to do.

I'm thinking to set the temperature in the heating circuit (the "system temperature") at - let's say - 30°C 24h/7d. Then the thermostat will drive the pump to reach the "room temperature" accordingly but I won't be able to reach 30° and above.

If the room temperature is not reachable, I will have to raise the "system temperature". As you said, I will have to run some test to find the right balance (between temperature and power usage) :) !
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

Indeed.
I have to admit, I didn‘t oversee the whole manual. But since this setup is wired like it is with the bridge wires instead of onboard connections, means they are kind of meant to be exchangeable for other accessories like a room thermostat.
If your system also provides hot water (for shower and so on), you will see if this function is impacted at all by the changes.

And 30° is a bit cold for radiator-water, it is usually more like 60° or so, depending on the infrastructure 😋
But I‘m sure you‘ll figure everything out😉

Not a Netatmo employee

Return to “Attaching the Thermostat to the boiler”