Multiple homes, multiple thermostats

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Ginopil

Multiple homes, multiple thermostats

Post by Ginopil »

Hi,
I'm assessing the smart heating kit, I really like NetAtmo but it's unclear if and how it would work for me in the following context:

a) 1 Property, but I'd like to add a second property to the same account eventually so that from one single app and with a single account I can manage both properties;

b) In the main property...
b.1) there are 3 thermostats - one by floor. Those are functionally irrelevant to me to the extent that I don't want to manage rooms by floor because they don't represent consistent groups of rooms;
b.2) each room has one single radiator;

c) in the secondary property...
c.1) there is one single thermostat;
c.2) there are rooms with multiple radiators.

In my ideal system configuration, the most granular unit is the radiator.
I would like to create:
d) two "Homes"
e) In each Home, virtual groups of radiators representing rooms in a 1-1 relationship in the main property, and 1-many in the secondary property;
f) and virtual zones or virtual groups of rooms. e.g. "Kitching/Living", "Main Bedrooms", "Spare Bedroom", "Office", etc. They are virtual because they don't represent a real area of the property, e.g. you have bedrooms spread across two floors - hence, linked to two different thermostats

After going through user guide, demo account and FAQ I understand that:
f) multiple homes in the same account are possible - See page 38 of the user guide
g) virtual rooms are fine - see page 31 of the user guide
h) virtual zones/groups of rooms unclear (see below c)
i) multiple thermostats can be installed and managed by the apps. Actually, since I have 3 existing thermostats, they must be installed and they represent real zones of the property.
https://helpcenter.netatmo.com/en-us/sm ... y=multiple

Assuming f and G are correct - aren't they? - I think the main point if about the set of thermostats in the main property. Please, what are the implications of having multiple thermostats in the app, in terms of settings, interface, reporting, etc? E.g., is the system smart enough to let you create a group of rooms including rooms from different thermostats? Is there any impact on the data and insights provided by the app?

Finally, unrelated: I'm a Google Home & Nest user. I wonder if you get anything in the google home app, e.g. anything to view and control.

Thanks!
GEORGzer

Re: Multiple homes, multiple thermostats

Post by GEORGzer »

I'll try to answer at least some of your questions:

You can have and manage multiple "homes" in the app, but the homes can't interact with each other. Meaning you'll need to create a separate schedule for every home.

Regarding groups and zones, you can only create "rooms" and add Thermostats or Valves to them.
All devices in the same room will act "as one", meaning the Thermostat/Valves will be synched and if you set a temperature on one of them, all will be set to that.

As mentioned before, you can only set one schedule per home and everything in it needs to be addressed in that one schedule. You can set up multiple schedules like for every season but only one can be active at the same time.

It would be relevant to know what type of heating source your are using and if you need to control one as well, like a boiler.
Do those radiators have thermostatic valves or just normal on/off valves and the temperature for the whole floor is set by the thermostat?
If so, what are those 3 thermostats of yours controlling exactly? 3 separate heating source or some type of actuators?
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee
Ginopil

Post by Ginopil »

Hi GEORGzer,
Thanks, very useful.
Re your question: one heating source, gas conventional system, I think the right answer is some type of actuators.
Anyway, after reading the answer I realized that it may be worthwhile to check the system in the secondary property, I have the impression that it may be a very easy and affordable installation and it may help familiarise with the NetAtmo system before making a decision about the main property.
Thanks!
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

Glad I could help.
If you start with a simple „standard“ setup, you will quickly see what possibilities the system gives you.
I wanted to mention that if you want to control a heating source, you must buy the Thermostat with additional Valves, regardless if you want to use the Thermostat or not. Only the Relais of the Thermostat is capable of controlling a boiler, the one that comes with the Valves Starter Pack is not.

Regarding your 3 floor location, this will need more investigation first on how your gas boiler gets triggered. It might be possible to get rid of 2 of the 3 thermostats since the Valves will regulate and take the temperature. What might be an issue with a 3 floor house is the radio-signal, depends on the structure.
If you get a basic setup for your 2nd location and you had time to get familiar with everything, you could actually run some teste in the 1st location before investing more money.
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee

Return to “General questions”