Protecting outside weather station

This forum provides technical help on how to set up Netatmo Weather Stations for the first time.
Mapantz

Re: Protecting outside weather station

Post by Mapantz »

biondi wrote:The annoying thing is if you didn't have your Davis station (which I assuming is accurate) you would never have known the Netatmo was inaccurate! That's the bit that worries me.

For those not in the know, I quite agree! Thankfully, I use Met Office data and independent stations close to me (Met Office WOW) to get better ideas on pressure and temp readings etc .. I do live in a microclimate in the south of England but the differences between the Davis and Netatmo module can be huge, like you say, this is worrying. No one can really say "well the Davis is expensive and it will be superior" - that is far from the issue, I have cheap thermo hygrometers (<== £9.99) that manage to record humidity and temperature closer than the Netatmo. :roll:
Matze

Post by Matze »

All,

as said, a cheap solution could be to hide the sensor in a bird house. I have a placed an Oregon outdoor sensor (Davis radiation shield), one Netatmo INDOOR module (bird house) and one OUTDOOR module (Davis radtion shield) around our house not directly in the sun. All three sensor are sending correct and comparable (Temp. Hum.) data.

It took me several months to find a constant signal between the netatmo outdoor and indoor module.

Matze
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Matze wrote:All,

as said, a cheap solution could be to hide the sensor in a bird house. I have a placed an Oregon outdoor sensor (Davis radiation shield), one Netatmo INDOOR module (bird house) and one OUTDOOR module (Davis radtion shield) around our house not directly in the sun. All three sensor are sending correct and comparable (Temp. Hum.) data.

It took me several months to find a constant signal between the netatmo outdoor and indoor module.

Matze
Not a bad idea but i've gone down this route:- http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-louvr ... 52mm/16105

I'll make a 13" x 13" cube frame, use those vents on all 6 sides, (12" ones I think) and also, build a sloping roof a few inches above the top vent, for good air circulation, I'll top it all off by spraying the lot with white enamal paint to reduce heat and help reflectivity. It comes to about £20 in total.:)
biondi

Post by biondi »

I built the one mentioned earlier in the thread:

http://www.hetweeractueel.nl/forum/zelf ... tion-emmen

I don't have the fan (at least at the moment) and it was a bit fiddly cutting the holes but came to only about £15 all-in. Unfortunately my sensor is still giving me a reading of pretty much 100% all of the time, like now for instance when it should be at about 80%-90%.
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

biondi wrote:I built the one mentioned earlier in the thread:

http://www.hetweeractueel.nl/forum/zelf ... tion-emmen

I don't have the fan (at least at the moment) and it was a bit fiddly cutting the holes but came to only about £15 all-in. Unfortunately my sensor is still giving me a reading of pretty much 100% all of the time, like now for instance when it should be at about 80%-90%.
I have a spare fan like that lying about, only a 12V one but it does produce enough circulation. What would be the best power source for it? I was testing mine on a 9V battery but I have no idea how long it would last?!
biondi

Post by biondi »

I think Mapantz I wouldn't bother with a battery, I'd use a small solar powered one. I haven't looked at that yet, still wondering if there's any point. Despite my sensor being protected it's showing way too high.
harcan

Post by harcan »

Ok....one Davis shield ordered...just to rule out external issues....
LuftikusA380

Post by LuftikusA380 »

Tonky wrote:I use this one: Davis Radiation Shield
Dutch site...
Hello Twonky,

May I ask if you had to modify the radiation shield in any way? I read your post and ordered the thing, it arrived yesterday. I did not start to assemble it, but my first impression is that the outdoor module will never fit in there :?
Tonky

Post by Tonky »

No I didn't, I placed it horizontal and it fits perfectly.. :-)
LuftikusA380

Post by LuftikusA380 »

Yes it does!! :D
Thank you so much for your quick reply! (And for posting the radiation shield idea in the first place, of course)

Return to “Setting up my Weather Station”