Issue with time schedule

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
gvandesompel

Issue with time schedule

Post by gvandesompel »

Due to lack of support from the official Netatmo support I wil post my issue here.

I have found that my Netatmo thermostat has completely deviated from my programming time schedule.
Apparently the thermostat has switched on independently during the night. This has not gone according to my programmed plan. (for example at 2:30AM instead of 5:30AM!)
This is not a good idea in these expensive energy times. The heating used gas unnecessarily during the night.
What is going on? Is my thermostat defective?
How can I count on the Netatmo system to keep to the schedule in the future?

In "test-modus" I’ve disabled the “Heating Prediction” modus since yesterday and indeed my evrything looks normal as it did a couple of months ago.
But I don’t think I fully understand. We never set our temperature inside lower then 16°.
Besides I would like to have the “Prediction” function very much active. I like that functionality.
This worked always before. I’ve bought the thermostat in October 2021. Since then this was functional, except since the last couple of weeks it behaves not good.
I think heating up the CV 3 hours in advance is absolutely not necessary.
The Prediction function did this correctly before, i.e +/- a half hour in advance before the setpoint temperature.
I am also confused about an automated message when hitting Netatmo’s support website. Is this message referring to the “Heating prediction” function(‘True Temperature”) ? It’s stating it’s malfunctioning ( general issue) ??
Could somebody clarify this please? When will this be functional again?
The Nettamo sevices are slipping the last couple of weeks...

So I would like to have the “Heating prediction” function active but without to be concerned about waking up our heating system in the middle of the night?
I hope somebody can give me some advice?
barat

Re: Issue with time schedule

Post by barat »

For me it sounds, that Heating Prediction now works like it should.
Thermostat is "learning" every ~two weeks. It calculates how fast it can increase temp by 1*C and how long it takes when it decreases by 1*C.
Then it "predicts" when it need to start to reach set temperature on given time. If you're using advanced PID algorithm (instead of hysteresis) that how it'll work.
Unfortunately edge cases exists, so for example if there will be -20*C outside Thermostat will learn, that it's harder to heat up and it takes short time to be cold again so it'll start to adapt for that.
Then, if temperature - suddenly - becomes 0*C the previous predictions may not be valid. If there is such edge case it may be smart to switch Thermostat into Hysteresis mode for couple days until it re-learns new conditions and then go back to Advanced algo.
Also - there is Real Temp which has nothing to do with schedule. You just take external independent thermometer, place it somewhere and after some time you may "tell" your thermostat that it's wrong and correct temperature is X.

Good thing about Advanced algorithm is that you're not scheduling WHEN heating should start, but rather what temperature you want at given time. It's pretty neat.
As an alternative you just pick Hysteresis, set it as +/- 0.2*C (or whatever you prefeer) and decide when boiler should start.
gvandesompel

Re: Issue with time schedule

Post by gvandesompel »

@barat: Thank you for your clear explanation.
But I still don't understand why this phenomenon din't appear last year? The settings are exactly the same.
There were no activations during the night ( with predictive PID algorithm). This year it is.
I think this is strange.
I will activate the hysteris mode and see what will happen.

Return to “General questions”