Geofencing

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
foxx

Geofencing

Post by foxx »

Hi all,
I've got a new presence camera, my first and only product from Netatmo.
Is there a chance to setup geofencing functions for the alert mode of the camera? (Without buying a welcome camera)
I.e. don't record and alert as long as I'm at home, set the camera mode to "on" as soon as I leave the house/fence.
I tried it with the security app, with HomeKit and with IFTTT, no success.
(Coming from Arlo working with the Netatmo software is really frustrating.)
foxx

Re: Geofencing

Post by foxx »

No answers yet, so I'll ask differently:
When setting up the camera at the only walkthrough to your house or in the garden, you'd get alerts quite often.
A good solution that Netgear has is to use geofencing with the smartphone, i.e. your at home -> no alerts, your away -> alerts.

For the Netatmo camera I did not find a solution to this yet, as there is no geofencing in the app. (Unless you'd buy an expansive indoor camera.)
Is there no other solution than to turn alerts on/off manually each time you enter or leave the house?
(I know the timer feature, but this is useless for me as I don't have a regular schedule every day.)

Thanks for any hints!
TB303

Post by TB303 »

I have the same question. And it's not a super-feature we are asking for.
Hope someone can answer with a solution!

THX
orpjb

Post by orpjb »

Not with the Netatmo app. This should be possible with HomeKit, though, assuming you've got a home hub device.

Recording and activity notifications are configured separately.

To only record when you're not home:
(recording requires an icloud+ subscription; for 1 camera a 50GB subscription is enough)
  • Open the Home app, select the camera view, tap the gear icon, tap 'Recording Options'
  • Change 'When home' to 'Stream' to disable recording but keep activity notifications and live view available when you're at home; you can also pick 'Detect Activity' to disable the live view when you're home, or 'Off' to completely disable the camera when you're home.
  • Change 'When Away' to 'Stream & Allow Recording' to record activity when you're not home.
  • Under 'More Options' configure which events should be recorded.
To only notify when you're not home:
  • Open the Home app, select the camera view, tap the gear icon, tap 'Notifications'
  • Enable 'Activity Notifications'
  • Tap 'People' and change the setting to 'When I am not home'
  • Configure which activity you want to be notified about below -- if you enable 'Status Change Notifications' you'll get a notification when the camera mode changes (handy to know that Homekit is following your location correctly, but can get annoying).
How to configure when you're home
You're relying on HomeKit to judge when you're at home. This will depend on your Apple ID 'Find My' settings:
  • Open iPhone settings, tap your Apple ID account, tap 'Find My'.
  • One device (usually an iPhone) is nominated to define 'My Location' and 'Share My Location' needs to be enabled in order for homeKit to use that device's location for automations.
You also need an address called 'home' in your address card so that HomeKit can estimate when you're near that address.
  • Open contacts, 'My Card' should be at the top,
  • if necessary, edit your home address.
Disable monitoring in the Netatmo app
The Netatmo Security app also notifies you about events and makes its own recordings (stored on the camera's SD card). If you're satisfied that HomeKit is notifying and recording events correctly, you may want to disable camera monitoring in the Netatmo app > tap the '...' menu button on the camera view and turn off the 'monitoring' toggle.

Return to “General questions”