My Welcome disconnects from the Wifi

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
zarzash

My Welcome disconnects from the Wifi

Post by zarzash »

Hello,
After a month of smooth operation, my Netatmo Welcome started to disconnect very regularly from my Wifi.

The symptom is: I first get a Disconnection notification in the app, then after 45 to 50 minutes the Welcome restarts and reconnects. I so get a reconnection notification.

This can occurs 4 to 5 times per day and is increasing. I have not noticed any specific time of the day where this occurs more frequently.

If any even occurs during that 40-50 period, the Welcome records them and transmit them after reconnection. So, the Welcome is operational but just not on Wifi.

I have changed my router. I have changed its location moving it within 1m to of the Welcome. I have made sure it is broadcasting its SSID. None of these helped.

I have up to 20 other IOT on that network and none has a connectivity issue. Only the Welcome does.

Can it be that the Wifi card of my Welcome is dying?
Anyone had such experience?
Any idea for trouble shooting?

Many thanks.
Oxymoron

Re: My Welcome disconnects from the Wifi

Post by Oxymoron »

Yes I have the same problems with my Welcones (x3). They used to work fine - now they just endlessly disconnect. SOmetimes 5-6 times per day. Then they might be stable for a day or so. Then start to disconnect again.

My Presence's and doorbell are all stable - it is just the Welcomes.

Netatmo really need to sort out all the issues with Welcomes - they are really trashy nowadays.
Oxymoron

Post by Oxymoron »

And to add to the above - mine don't disconnect from the Home App. They just disconnect from the Netatmo App - so maybe it is the app rather than the camera itself.
Lugge

Post by Lugge »

Oxymoron wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 11:27 And to add to the above - mine don't disconnect from the Home App. They just disconnect from the Netatmo App - so maybe it is the app rather than the camera itself.
Have you solved the disconnect problem?

I have the same problem with my indoor camera. No disconnect from the Wi-Fi problem with the outdoor camera.

The Security app says indoor camera is disconnected from Wi-Fi but i can stream video without problem via apples home app….
Oxymoron

Post by Oxymoron »

I’m still experiencing this problem and still trying to find a consistent explanation.

All my Welcome’s have very strong wifi signal (full bars) but disconnect randomly but regularly. All my Presence cameras have a comparatively weak wifi signal (one has just two bars) but never disconnect.

I have replaced SD cards in my Welcomes, and this initially seemed to solve the problem - the cameras connected much more consistently without disconnects. But after a few weeks, the disconnect problems returned.

So what I am now thinking is that there is a bug in the Welcome’s which causes a disconnect when the SD card is full and it needs to overwrite an older file to record.

I have now set my Welcome’s to record only when nobody is at home (therefore greatly reducing the recording times) and this does seem to reduce the disconnects in this initial trial. Will keep posted over the next few weeks…
zarzash

Post by zarzash »

I solved my problem by changing my router. It was not the wifi signal itself that was strong, but the router could not handle the number of IOTs that I had connected to it.
Changing to a different router that can handle more IOTs stabilized my situation.

I also experienced a disconnection issue that was related to a defective SD card. Changing the card fixed that as well.
Oxymoron

Post by Oxymoron »

I think you might be onto something there.

My entire system seems much more stable now since I enabled 5Ghz on my router (contrary to what Netatmo advice!). After I enabled 5Ghz - and after a period of stabilisation which lasted a few days - all my Apple products (8 xhomepods, 2 x Mac, 4 x iOS and aTime Capsule) connected to the 5Ghz network leaving the 2.4Ghhz network for my Netatmo devices. Everything very stable now - all my Apple and Netatmo devices working perfectly.
ZekeHound

Post by ZekeHound »

This is constantly happening to my Welcome as well. It’s on a dedicated IOT network on 2,4 ghz.
In Apple Home app I can access and see the video feed.

Return to “General questions”