Video stored at Netatmo?

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Denis

Video stored at Netatmo?

Post by Denis »

I thought these cameras only store info on the SD card and optionally on your own FTP or Dropbox.
I just found, when logged in to my account at Netatmo, that videos are available in a complete timeline :shock:

The site says something about one image per event being stored by them in case of losing access to the camera, but these appear to be stored videos, multiple snapshots and a timeline, just like in the app.

Are these stored, or is it (very rapidly, too rapidly I think) gathering data from the cameras in response to my browsing?
Is there a way to stop it? I only really want HomeKit access.

Does anyone know what's really going on here?
orpjb

Re: Video stored at Netatmo?

Post by orpjb »

The videos are stored on your camera SD card; Netatmo store the timeline metadata -- which camera, what time, what type of event -- and the first thumbnail for each video which is just enough to show you a timeline and to push notifications to your devices with a thumbnail. When you play a video through the App or the web interface, the video is streamed off the camera's SD card to your web browser on demand.

To test, try turning off the power to a camera and then try playing the videos; they don't play without your camera being switched on. Try removing the SD card (or swapping in a blank one); again they won't play.

If you only want to use HomeKit, then turn off monitoring in the Netatmo Security app (Open the Security app > press the '...' button in the top right > turn off monitoring, leaving HomeKit monitoring enabled); the camera won't record any events to the SD card, or notify you about anything, but HomeKit can continue to monitor the camera, send you notifications and record events however you set it up in the Home app.

If you object to your videos being stored in places you don't know, bare in mind that HomeKit Secure Video *will* be storing recordings on Apple's iCloud servers (enrypted of course).
Denis

Re: Video stored at Netatmo?

Post by Denis »

Excellent reply, thanks. I am reassured. Once I get this latest firmware update and (hopefully!) the cameras start working properly with HomeKit again, I may well turn off the monitoring as you say.

Return to “General questions”