Connection of modulating thermostat to boiler

GEORGzer

Re: Connection of modulating thermostat to boiler

Post by GEORGzer »

If your boiler is in wifi range so that the Relais can connect to the internet, I would wire it directly to the boiler and disconnect the old wires.
You can mount the Thermostat over the old wires, if you want to hide them.
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee
MarcV

Post by MarcV »

I understand the issue with Opentherm and the fact that the thermostat would need constant power. I can wire the relay directly to the boiler but then some of the valves will be out of range. I have to put the relay in a location where it can make contact with all valves. It's a pity that the valves cannot communicate with each other like for instance the lamps in a Philips Hue system can (which communicate over a Zigbee network). This could solve a lot of connectivity issues. It's a design flaw in an otherwise good system...
...but I might be wrong...
canacchione

Post by canacchione »

MarcV wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 14:55 I understand the issue with Opentherm and the fact that the thermostat would need constant power. I can wire the relay directly to the boiler but then some of the valves will be out of range. I have to put the relay in a location where it can make contact with all valves. It's a pity that the valves cannot communicate with each other like for instance the lamps in a Philips Hue system can (which communicate over a Zigbee network). This could solve a lot of connectivity issues. It's a design flaw in an otherwise good system...
i purchased modulating netatmo i will arrive in days. I intend to do a test, by connecting the relay directly to the boiler, the boiler is located in a technical room outside the apartment, however covered. If it sees all the valves I will leave it there, otherwise I will be forced to send two other wires to the boiler for the power supply and I will connect everything anyway to the boiler but in the central position so as not to have connection problems between relays - valves - wifi
canacchione

Post by canacchione »

Netatmo modulating arrived and installed, works perfectly. I connected the relay directly to the boiler and placed them outside near the boiler I did the tests and communicates perfectly with all the valves and with the thermostat even with external and internal closed doors. I ask you a question how do you now communicate home + control with the rest of the netatmo devices that I have or external temperature sensor + rain gauge + anemometer?
The account is the same but I do not see represented in my house if I go from home + control, the rest of the apparatus. If I want to see them I have to select the netatmo weather app or the netatmo security for the camera... that is, in the same home+ control I can not see and control everything? But then we are sure that the various devices, external temperature and modulating netatmo dialogue with each other? Thank you
canacchione

Post by canacchione »

sorry do you know where I can download the data sheet of our netatmo intelligent modulator? I only have the manual in the instruction box
GEORGzer

Post by GEORGzer »

GEORGzer wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 21:48 @sergeantd83

Does the Modulating Thermostat itself have no connectors at all or just for dry-contact usage like the analog Thermostat?

Apparently, I knew better back in 2020 🤪

https://forum.netatmo.com/viewtopic.php?p=83071
GEORGzer wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 17:36
  • Wire the Relais directly to the boiler and use the Thermostat wirelessly.
  • Wire the Relais instead of your old room thermostat (necessary if the boiler is offsite or out of wifi range).
Note: Unlike the standard Netatmo Thermostat, the OpenTherm Thermostat has no physical connectors and can‘t be wired directly. The Relais has to be wired to the boiler.
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee
canacchione

Post by canacchione »

Hello, I describe my personal experience in case someone is in the same situation as me. Daikin modulating boiler model D2C with its LAN gateway and its opentherm DOTROOM room thermostat. The room thermostat is connected (it cannot be connected elsewhere, otherwise the ONECTA Daikin app will not work) in the opentherm 3-4 terminal block position.
I bought Netatmo Modulating Smart. Requires the relay to be connected in the same position as the other i.e. opentherm 3-4. I asked the Daikin technicians but they say they are not aware of the functioning of netatmo with their boiler because being a third-party product it has not been tested, the only solution they recommended is to try to connect them together (same position) . I plugged them in and they both seem to work no errors on the Daikin boiler or thermostat. The netatmo relay works perfectly. Now, it is a question of understanding when it will be time to move to the position of producing heating as well as domestic hot water, how should I set the Daikin thermostat so that it does not affect the calls and commands that Netatmo will give ... and vice versa. In practice, I would like everything to work for me, both the Daikin app (for managing any errors and remote settings) and Netatmo, which should modulate everything ...
sergeantd83

Post by sergeantd83 »

If you go in H+C app in setttings -> Manage my home -> Room of the Modulating thermostat-> Modulating Thermostat -> Settings, what is your Control mode? OpenTherm or ON/OFF?
canacchione

Post by canacchione »

sergeantd83 wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 19:46 If you go in H+C app in setttings -> Manage my home -> Room of the Modulating thermostat-> Modulating Thermostat -> Settings, what is your Control mode? OpenTherm or ON/OFF?
Control mode is opentherm but to me it only appears written on / off

I have to make a small clarification regarding what I had described some post back. Yesterday the first test of the boiler, ignition of the radiators for heating to test. Unfortunately the two systems (modulating netatmo and Daikin DOTROOM) together on opentherm do not work, or rather netatmo manages the boiler and sends the on and off signals but the boiler signals an error and the Daikin DOTROOM proprietary room thermostat switches off and the boiler behaves as if it wants to restart, it turns on and off all the time .... so I have to give up the proprietary DOTROOM room thermostat. Now I'm interested in the daikin technicians to understand if there is a way to exclude it and make sure that at least the ONECTA daikin app can work, which gives me all the information and possible errors of the boiler as well as managing practically everything.
Unfortunately I was very disappointed with the response I got from Netatmo, I was convinced that the netatmo ecosystem was talking to each other and that the intelligent modulating netatmo took the data of the external climate / weather situation from the rain gauge / anemometer / and temperature sensor .... instead it is not so! The weather data of netatmo are released by third party partners for geolocation by IBM ... what a sadness and what a disappointment !!! All this effort for nothing ...
sergeantd83

Post by sergeantd83 »

Unfortunately you can’t use 2 thermostats connected with 1 boiler. The OpenTherm protocol needs 2 devices to work: Thermostat ( Master ) and Boiler ( Slave ). The daikin thermostat and ONECTA app receive the proprietary MsgID’s from the boiler through OpenTherm and then they are displayed to the app and/or the thermostat.

Edit:

It is also mentioned before.

OpenTherm is a bidirectional communication protocol between 2 devices. (1) Thermostat ( Master ) <-> (2) Boiler ( Slave ). If you try to connect a second OpenTherm thermostat to your boiler simply won’t work and probably an error code will be displayed on the boiler panel. So you need to connect only one thermostat at the boiler’s OpenTherm terminals. If you will use only the Daikin thermostat you will have serious issues with your Netatmo valves ( Incompatible installation ). So what you propose looks like the best option 8-).

Return to “General Questions”