Alpha SY24 - Replacing a wired thermostat with Netatmo

You need some help attaching the thermostat to your specific boiler. This way please !
cholma

Alpha SY24 - Replacing a wired thermostat with Netatmo

Post by cholma »

Hi. I currently have a System boiler, using an s-plan setup. A 20+ year old Alpha SY24 boiler (simple on/off protocol), Megaflo tank (tank thermostat), two port valves (CH and HW), a timer programmer, and a wired thermostat. The thermostats, port valves, etc., are all wired into a junction box in the airing cupboard.

I'm planning in upgrading the boiler and tank next year - hopefully an Opentherm boiler. Initially, I want to replace the wired thermostat to get greater control, then add the smart radiator valves.

Based on what I've outlined, would the Netatmo be a simple swap for the existing thermostat (although we'd have to isolate the existing wire supplying power to the thermostat)?

The thermostat location is in the same room as the BT hub and so the Relay would be both near the hub and the thermostat.
GEORGzer

Re: Alpha SY24 - Replacing a wired thermostat with Netatmo

Post by GEORGzer »

If you want to switch to OpenTherm in the future, I assume you‘re planing to buy the OpenTherm Version of the Thermostat. It should be noted that on that version only the Relais can be wired to the boiler (or placed instead of an old thermostat), the OpenTherm Thermostat (control panel) has no terminals and can only be used wirelessly.

Without googling all your components I can safely say: if you have an on/off (dry contact) thermostat right now, you can replace it with the Netatmo Thermostat (OpenTherm and Standard). All you need is power wherever the Relais needs to be placed, a standard power socket works as well.
Home: Weather Station (V3 + Rain & Wind Gauge, 3 additional Indoor Modules, Shield), Valves Starter Pack + 7 Valves, Video Doorbell
Office: Thermostat (V2), Healthy Home Coach, Smoke Alarm, 2 2in1 Sensors

Not a Netatmo employee
cholma

Re: Alpha SY24 - Replacing a wired thermostat with Netatmo

Post by cholma »

Thanks. I'm probably not going to go for the Opentherm one initially, as I'm both not certain about when we'll replace the boiler (we're currently doing the kitchen, which is proving to be costly), and whether we'll go for Opentherm or not.

Return to “Attaching the Thermostat to the boiler”