Smoke Alarm WiFi Connection Problem

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Apollo

Smoke Alarm WiFi Connection Problem

Post by Apollo »

I’ve just bought a Netatmo Smart Smoke Alarm but I cannot connect it to my WiFi.
My network has 3 Mesh Nodes connected by Gigabit Ethernet to the Mesh Root which is connected to my router, each of the mesh nodes and root broadcast on the 2.4Ghz and 5GHz bands. I have set up 3 SSIDs, one for my main network, another for guests and another for some specific smart devices I keep isolated from the main network.
During the set up of the Smoke Alarm, after it had found and connected to my Apple Homekit Hub, when I got to the stage to select my wifi network, the App showed all three SSIDs but at zero signal strength and yet I was about 1m from one of the mesh nodes. The app also showed other SSIDs from my neighbours houses at full signal strength and yet these are so low level my iPhone could not see them.
I could see the Smoke Alarm was available in the Home App so I’m assuming it uses Bluetooth to connect to my Home Hub which is an Apple HomePod.
I tried setting up a fourth SSID on the mesh node nearest to the room where I planned to install it and turning off the other SSIDs in that node and went through the set up procedure again after resetting the smoke alarm with the CFG button. This time the signal strength wifi symbol in the app for the smoke alarm the new SSID was showing a bit more strength but my iPhone was also connected to that SSID with maximum signal showing on the wifi symbol and yet the other SSIDs not in my house were all showing stronger signals. Needless to say the smoke alarm would not connect to my wifi.

Has anyone out there experienced the same problem and if so what is the solution?

Return to “General questions”