outdoor module battery consumption went crazy

Tips, tricks and frequently asked questions
Brieuc_Netatmo

Re: outdoor module battery consumption went crazy

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo »

Dear all,
The outdoor module is designed to provide measurements for at least one year before having to replace batteries.
So if a module consumes its batteries in less than one year, it might be defective. Please contact us at support in this case, we will find a solution for you as soon as possible.
Have a nice day!
Brieuc - Netatmo Team
email@ian-atkin.net

Post by email@ian-atkin.net »

Brieuc_Netatmo wrote:Dear all,
The outdoor module is designed to provide measurements for at least one year before having to replace batteries.
So if a module consumes its batteries in less than one year, it might be defective. Please contact us at support in this case, we will find a solution for you as soon as possible.
Have a nice day!
I did contact support and was told to contact the supplier if it was still in warranty. My unit only started exhibiting this behaviour just after the warranty expired so I'm stuck trying to repair it myself!
Harry_de_hond

Post by Harry_de_hond »

Brieuc_Netatmo wrote:Dear all,
Have a nice day!
I have written 4 emails and contacted support via Twitter. But stil no answers.
Brieuc_Netatmo

Post by Brieuc_Netatmo »

Hello,
Sending multiple times the same email is not necessary, and it's even counterproductive.
I've found your ticket and we will answer it.
Have a nice day!
Brieuc - Netatmo Team
Harry_de_hond

Post by Harry_de_hond »

Brieuc_Netatmo wrote:Hello,
Sending multiple times the same email is not necessary, and it's even counterproductive.
I've found your ticket and we will answer it.
Have a nice day!
Thank you.
jdesm

Post by jdesm »

Thanks! The same problem's been driving me crazy for the past year, wonder if something can be done for my station too. Glad I found this post (and in a way, reassured that I'm not alone with the issue!)

Just made similar request to support.
pepsi_max2k

Post by pepsi_max2k »

Encountered the same low battery issue with an outdoor module purchased from Netatmo's online store last month. CS have said a new firmware may resolve the issue.

The fact this thread is 2.5 years old, yet they're still selling products with the same issue, and haven't so far released a firmware update that resolves it, pretty much says everything...
london2tim

Post by london2tim »

Hi am also having the same issue
after the original batteries run out (they lasted me 1 year and half) i replaced with new ones - after 2 weeks they were 0 - then new ones same story
Am now on 4th pair and again is half way thru - this cant be normal - i contacted the support they said send back unit if in warranty - this is insane - can someone confirm WTF is going on?

i didnt had this problem before
jdesm

Post by jdesm »

london2tim wrote:Hi am also having the same issue
after the original batteries run out (they lasted me 1 year and half) i replaced with new ones - after 2 weeks they were 0 - then new ones same story
Am now on 4th pair and again is half way thru - this cant be normal - i contacted the support they said send back unit if in warranty - this is insane - can someone confirm WTF is going on?

i didnt had this problem before
Exact same here, although my device is older. First 2-3 sets of batteries ran fine (6+ months), ever since then it's been so bad I've invested in rechargeable batteries!
bingeciren

Post by bingeciren »

I have two stations. On both of them, the outdoor modules started to deplete their batteries very quickly as described by many in this thread. The battery consumption was so drastic that the outdoor units would completely empty their brand new Duracell Alkalines in less than 24 hours! I even wasted a rather expensive Lithium Battery set this way and the result was the same.

I opened the outdoor modules and inspected the circuit board for ingress of moisture and water related damage like corrosion etc.

By the way, they are very easy to disassemble. All one needs is a T8 Torx screwdriver. The two screws holding the unit together are buried deep in their sockets, so the driver needs to be long enough to reach them. Use this link with your browser for disassembly instructions (add www in front if necessary): fictiv.com/blog/posts/netatmo-weather-station-teardown-part-1-outdoor-module

One of my units had the small SMD component, which was identified as a capacitor by some people in this thread, however it is a resistor. The other unit did not have it. I removed the circular gasket around the circuitboard and used an old toothbrush to clean it first using a tiny bit of WD40. Then I applied a thin coat of Silicone oil to all over the components EXCEPT the moisture / temperature sensor which is isolated from the rest of the board by the gasket if you look carefully. I also applied a thin coat of the same Silicone oil to the gasket and re assembled both units.

Now, both stations show their battery states as Full for the past 10 days or so. I will update the long term results as time goes on.

My theory is that some moisture, however small, creeps into the unit after a while and starts to form a mildew like slightly conductive residue around the legs of the components. Silicone oil prevents this type of residue forming around the contacts and keeps the moisture away from them.

I have also developed a very economical and simple Solar Panel charging method similar to the one described in this thread. However, I used a smaller panel (6x6 cm) producing 4 -5 V and used two AAA NiMiH rechargeable batteries instead of the regular AAA batteries, without needing a voltage regulator and any additional electronics. This works wonderfully but this is my backup plan. If the battery drain problem is solved by the Silicone oil treatment, there would be no need to use a solar charger.

I'll keep this post updated for long term results.

***UPDATE***
The excessive battery consumption problem came back to both modules. So, I decided to revert to plan B, namely the solar cell charging system that I developed and tested extensively during this period.

The solar charge system I developed is very simple and it does not physically modify or change the outdoor module in any way. The system consist of:
1) 6cm x 6cm solar cell. Open loop voltage under full sunlight is 4.5V and short circuit current is 30mA. Can be bought for about $5.
2) 1N series diode for preventing discharge during night time when there is no light on the panel. Salvage from old equipment or buy it for pennies cheap.
3) Magnet wire. Thin, shellac coated bobbin wire used in motors. 0.2mm or 0.3mm thick. You don't need much, 60 cm in total is enough.
4) Thin cupper or brass shim to use as battery contacts. Again, just a tiny amount is sufficient. Aluminum won't do because it cannot be soldered.

You can open the attached file and magnify to read my comments. So far, both modules are working wonderfully and the panels provide sufficient power despite being in the shade.

You can also extend the wires of the solar cell and position the cell directly under the sun if you wish while keeping the module in the shade and out of the rain.
Attachments
Netatmo Solar-resized.jpg
Last edited by bingeciren on 29 Mar 2017, 19:45, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “General questions”